Water Damage Can Lead to Mold in Your Shaker Heights Home
With “April Showers” quickly approaching, there is an increased possibility for drain backups in your Bratenahl home. Water damage is horrible in itself but it CAN get worse. Unfortunately, water damage can lead to mold.
Given the right environment, mildew and mold can develop within 48 hours of water exposure if your Richmond Heights home has sustained water damage. This buildup of water can be due to a number of things, including:
- Sewage backup from flooding in the area
- Overflows from showers, sinks, or bathtubs
- Elevated levels of humidity from foundation leaks
- Plumbing and/or roof leaks
Mold will continue to grow until the source of the water in the specified area has been corrected, the atmosphere is under control along with dealing with the existing mold properly and effectively.
Eliminating all mold is not possible indoors, but there are many ways that you can help to control mold growth, such as:
- Stop the Water – have leaks and water intrusions repaired.
- Keep it Clean – clean fabrics regularly and store in dry spaces; have air ducts cleaned.
- Keep it Dry – reduce air moisture with dehumidifiers, fans, air conditioners, but DO NOT use fans if mold already exists; try to keep indoor humidity below 40%
- Disinfect – be sure to check moisture or mold prone spaces in your Shaker Heights home like bathrooms, laundry areas, mechanical rooms for moldy odors, and use a commercial disinfectant.
Water damage can lead to problems that can be easily missed or shrugged off as not a big deal. It is important to have the affected space thoroughly assessed by experts for signs of mold growth. That’s where we come in! Call SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast at 216-464-4498 and we’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”