Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your Beachwood, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, South Euclid, Lyndhurst or Pepper Pike home may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts. Any damage to your home is stressful, but these issues can be extremely upsetting and frightening. You’ll need a caring expert to guide you through this crisis. It is typical for local "fire chasers" to show up on your lawn looking to "help." Please remember, the team here at SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast will treat you with respect and empathy, and we’ll always treat your home and belongings with care. In this time of crisis, take the time to choose wisely and do your homework! SERVPRO of Beachwood and Cleveland Northeast is well qualified and a national brand you can trust.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (216) 464-4498
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.